Alliance for HOPE International
Program Assistant for the Training Institute on Strangulation Prevention – coordinating training, consulting, resources, and support services for professionals working in the fields of domestic violence and sexual assault.
THE TRAINING INSTITUTE ON STRANGULATION PREVENTION (Institute) is a program of Alliance for HOPE International, one of the leading domestic violence and sexual assault prevention and intervention organizations in the United States. The Institute was launched with support from the United States Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women. The Institute provides consulting, training, resources, and support services to professionals working in the fields of domestic violence and sexual assault. Our trainings have been recognized throughout the country as the premier source for information related to strangulation and we have been featured for our work in dozens of articles and media outlets from the New York Times, USA Today, The Huffington Post, the Domestic Violence Report, among others.
The Institute was launched in 2011, developed in response to the increasing demand for Intimate Partner Violence Strangulation Crimes training and technical assistance (consulting, planning and support services) from communities around the world.
The Institute provides training, technical assistance, web-based education programs, a directory of national trainers and experts, and a clearinghouse of all research related to domestic violence and sexual assault strangulation crimes.
The goals of the Institute are to: Enhance the knowledge and understanding of professionals working with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault who are strangled; Improve policy and practice among the legal, medical, and advocacy communities; Maximize capacity and expertise; Increase offender accountability; and ultimately enhance victim safety.
The Alliance is an organization committed to research-based programming, as well as collaboration of government and social service agencies for the wellbeing of adult survivors and their children. The Alliance team is dedicated to providing excellence through our services and training materials, which directly affect those provided to survivors by social services organizations in the United States and around the world.
THE PROGRAM ASSISTANT is responsible for supporting and assisting the Director of the Institute with programmatic and administrative functions such as daily office tasks, managing calendars and meetings, scheduling travel, tracking data and emails critical for deliverables, meeting/webinar/conference call set-up and preparation, taking meeting notes, maintaining organization of internal documentation; researching, developing and creating technical assistance resources; preparing reimbursements, providing logistical support for events and meetings, providing documentation and support for grant requirements, and a variety of other administrative tasks.
This position requires outstanding organizational and communication skills, adaptability, self-directed time management, ability to track and complete multiple and ongoing projects, excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills, solution-focused mentality and the ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as with domestic violence professionals across the nation.
- Work closely with the Director of the Institute to implement the vision, mission, strategic goals, objectives, activities, products and outcomes
- Provide administrative and organizational support to the Program Manager, Director of the Institute, and Alliance President
- Assist with planning, coordinating, scheduling, and arranging travel
- Clerical duties as assigned
- Assist in event planning and oversight, including required grant documentation
- Review invoices and prepare check requests for approval
- Assist with setup, planning, and implementation of meetings, trainings and events
- Assist with setup, planning, and implementation of webinar trainings hosted by the Institute
- Perform updates to Institute’s website as needed: resource library, events page, news, and overall improvement and user experience
- Provide programmatic support to the Program Manager, Program Director and Alliance Leadership Team
- Coordinate and execute national webinars and calls with guidance from the Program Manager and Program Director
- Ensure grant deliverables and project timelines are met on time, including grant reporting requirements such as semi-annual reports
- Respond to comprehensive information, and training requests
- Track all technical assistance/consultations/requests for federal grant reporting purposes
- Answer questions from general callers and refer them to our website for more information about our services
- Participate in travel and training as needed
- Support in editing and creation of documents and presentations
- Other duties as assigned
- Provide daily reports to the Director of the Institute
- Meet regularly with the Institute Team to ensure coordination of activities
- Answer questions, phone calls, emails
- Develop/Maintain outreach, communication, and advertising of Institute services and resources through social media, newsletters, calls, or other marketing materials
Values, Skills, and Abilities
- A heart for survivors of trauma and abuse
- A commitment to working with first responders
- Ability to maintain healthy boundaries and engage in necessary self-care
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and a team-player
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work with diverse backgrounds, beliefs and personalities
- Ability to speak effectively to individuals and groups
- Exhibits ability to multitask on a regular basis
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to exhibit a high level of confidentiality internally and externally
- Able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Able to complete and excel in in general administrative and office operations
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Proficient in Mac and PC
Salary and Benefits
- $40,000 to $45,000, depending on experience
- Benefits include health and dental insurance, 401K program, laptop, parking, cell phone allowance and other benefits listed in the Alliance personnel manual
To apply please submit resume and cover letter.
The mental and physical safety of our staff is of utmost importance to us, therefore, we are temporarily working remotely, maintaining the most up-to-date COVID19 protocols. Because connection is also key in our organization, and in order to provide the highest level of personalized training, onboarding and initial employment period will take place at the Alliance offices in downtown San Diego while following local and statewide COVID19 safety protocols which will continue to be followed as our team slowly returns back to the office.
Regularly, the Alliance team spends the majority of time in a temperature-controlled office setting. The standard 40-hour workweek with an 8-5 shift applies. Some overtime may be required during the planning and execution of special events. Some national travel for events and technical assistance delivery may also be required. Moderate physical activity such as walking, standing, and light lifting is involved in many daily activities, as well as sitting at a desk, in front of a computer, for extended periods of time.
THE MISSION OF ALLIANCE FOR HOPE INTERNATIONAL is to create pathways to hope for adults, and children who are victims of domestic violence and related sexual violence through collaborative, integrated multi-disciplinary centers, teams and initiatives in order to break the generational cycle of violence and abuse in families across the United States and around the world.
Our vision is to create a future where ALL the needs of victims are met, children are protected, batterers are held accountable, violence fades, economic justice increases, families heal and thrive, Hope is realized, and we ALL work together.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 – $45,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Currently, the majority of the staff is working remotely and will slowly return to the office following local and statewide COVID19 protocols. New staff will report to the office for onboarding and initial employment period following safety protocols.
- Administrative: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- San Diego, CA 92101 (Required)
- 25% (Preferred)
- What are some of your personal strengths that are best suited for this position?
- One location
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.