Armed Services YMCA
Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that welcomes people of all skill and fitness levels.. Modifies class as needed to meet varied health, ability and cultural needs. Attend all YMCA training meetings, special events and staff meetings as requested. Must uphold and promote the YMCA mission by demonstrating the core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
Asks and answers questions from program participants and members to support them in achieving their goals related to health and well-being.
Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members and program participants connect with each other and the ASYMCA.
Observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
Celebrates achievement of program participants related to program or personal goals, mastering of specific skills or overall health and well-being.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrives with time to set up music and routine before start of class;
- Reads weekly fitness announcements to class prior to start;
- Begins and ends classes on time;
- Adjusts program to meet needs of participants in each class;
- Returns all equipment back in proper storage location;
- Sweeps studio/exercise area after completion of each class;
- Reports accurate class attendace counts;
- Keeps music below 85 decibels;
- Reports any damanged equipment to Wellness Director;
- Checks email regularly for updates from Wellness Director;
- Wears only ASYMCA Fitness Staff attire when instructing (mid-drift covered, shorts minimum of 3” inseam).
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Group Exercise Instructor must maintain and have current the following credentials and licensure:
Current Group Exercise Certification from ACE, NASM, AAFA, or 200 hours yoga instructor training.
First Aid/CPR Certification
Redwood’s Safety Trainings
State Police Criminal Record Check
F.B.I. Fingerprint Screening
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
Ability to conduct classes and activities;
Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting;
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a Wellness Center, but is based in an office. The position will interact with children and adults on a daily basis.
10% Travel Time Is expected. May need to travel from one ASYMCA facility to another to instruct or substitute classes.
Education and Experience
- Must have current certification in area of expertise;
- Must be at least 21 years of age;
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills;
- One year experience instructing group exercise classes is required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $15.00 – $25.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Monday to Friday
- Yoga Insructor: 1 year (Required)
- Group Fitness/Yoga Certification (Required)
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Autonomous/Independent — enjoys working with little direction
This Job Is:
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Company’s Facebook page:
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.