City of Kingman
Apply today! This position is open continuously with frequent review of applications!
Hire-in rate will be based on wage qualifiers as described in job description (see below). Our Recreation Instructors are responsible for planning, organizing and conducting instructional lessons for classes presented to adults and youth.
Currently, we are interested in working with instructors for the following areas, but we remain open to suggestions and presentations of other types of classes:
- Floral Design
- Cake Decorating
- Arts & Crafts
Part-time, seasonal position conducting instructional lessons. The Recreation Instructor is a broad classification and encompasses various assignments with department flexibility to assign employees based on the meeting of wage qualifiers. Employees will be assigned utilizing a formula which incorporates the following characteristics:
An individual assigned to Recreation Instructor will be reviewed and placed according to the meeting of the below qualifiers. It is important to note the Recreation Instructor is subject to regular review upon initial placement and each time the same class/program is proposed/submitted/held, a new/revised class/program is submitted/held and/or to ensure the individual is meeting the noted qualifiers and placement to wage is or remains appropriate.
Each class is looked at individually to determine a rate of pay, using a formula that is based on the following:
- Determined number of hours an instructor will need to work in a given class/program session;
- Determined charge/rate for class/program and use of that rate to assist in determining the instructor’s rate of pay;
- The facility capacity to meet the minimum and maximum class/program size standards;
- Minimum and maximum required to teach a successful class/program;
- Minimum and maximum numbers to cover cost of said instructor’s minimum rate; and
- Job performance will be evaluated and increased/decreased based on the instructor’s evaluation and the number of participants enrolled.
Works under the direct supervision of the Recreation Coordinator or Recreation Superintendent and general supervision of the Parks & Recreation Director.
Directly supervises class participants.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED certificate, and
- One (1) year experience as a teacher, tutor, counselor, or coach in an organized recreational program or related field at the level of a recreation assistant or recreation volunteer.
- A combination of the appropriate type and level of education and experience in the program area assigned.
- First Aid/CPR/AED certification
- By position, may require valid Arizona Driver’s License
- Certified programs require a Certificate and/or Authorization Trademark use (ex: Pilates, Zumba, Red Cross, etc.)
- Develops, plans, schedules and conducts recreation classes in the specialized area in connection with the fee instruction program being offered to the public. Secures materials and equipment used for each class.
- Determines appropriate class sill and age levels necessary for participants to be successful and engaged to educate the participants.
- Prepares and conducts class instructional activities or general camp activities, prepares a course outline or schedule and a list of necessary course materials for class participants.
- Enforces site, classroom and department policies and rules.
- Assures proper maintenance of recreational facilities and equipment to ensure a safe and sanitary environment and notifies immediate supervisor of any problems and/or concerns.
- Sets up and cleans up facilities.
- Receives, stores and issues class equipment and supplies as needed.
- Monitors class participants throughout instruction, ensures adherence to safety practices and to department policies and procedures. Follows appropriate emergency procedures to protect the well-being of the participants.
- Responds to and resolves participant complaints and notifies supervisor when necessary.
- Completes required forms and activity records and reports.
- Communicates with parents of school age participants, as needed.
- Obtains and evaluates feedback regarding the effectiveness of the instructional process and the success of the program activity.
- Maintains a positive relationship with staff, co-workers, participants, and spectators.
- Provides excellent and proficient customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
- May be required to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures; follows safety policies and practices, works in a safe manner, and reports unsafe activity and conditions.
- Performs related duties as required.
The work environment characteristics attached to the job description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Click here to see the Physical Demands for this position.
Personal Growth Opportunities ~ Meaningful and Challenging Work ~ Public Service
Community Spirit ~ Training and Development
This position is not eligible for benefits except for AZ Sick Leave Accruals earned @ 1hr for every 30 hrs worked.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.