City of Largo, FL
Work involves responsibility for developing, organizing, and supervising specialized activities at a major recreation center. Highland Complex programs emphasis is fitness, athletics, and general programs for all ages. Highland is a busy seven day a week operation and is home to the Playworld Indoor Playground. The center is located in a large park setting. This position will oversee fitness and adult programming.
The position reports to the center Recreation Program Manager.
This position will oversee fitness and adult programming:
Monday / Wednesday: 6:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Tuesday / Thursday: 7:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Friday: 6:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Saturday: 8:00 AM -3:30 PM
Sunday: 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM
Schedule / Assignment: This position will supervise a variety of shifts including early mornings, mid-day, late evenings, weekend and some holidays. With advance notice, the primary schedule can change due to programming and/or center need.
- Primary responsibilities include: programming classes and events related to fitness, adult programming and supervising staff on assigned shift
- Responsible for a recreation center or program in the absence of the Recreation Program Manager
- Assists manager with developing, supervising and evaluating leisure programs
- Assists with marketing and promotion of the facility and programs
- Prepares submittal for Play Magazine and marketing requests for assigned programs. Reviews and oversees web site updates
- Assists with contract management for instructors, professional services, and rentals
- Monitors facility schedule, work orders, daily inspections, and repair and maintenance issues. Conducts event and program set ups and all activities for opening and closing of the facility
- Coordinates selection, evaluation, and supervision of assigned staff, seasonal workers, instructors and volunteers. May assist with staff orientation and training programs
- Supervises evening front desk operations, usage of recreation system, cash registers, and telephone support. Oversees customer service in office for recreation and park patrons
- Assists with the development and implementation of a facility calendar for programs, building rentals, sports leagues, luncheons, performances and special events, etc
- Enforces rules, regulations, and safety precautions, evaluates safety concerns and makes recommendations for improvements. Reviews all injury and incident reports on assigned shift. Maintains order and discipline of participants
- Prepares and processes monthly reports, payroll, purchases, requisitions, program evaluations, personnel paperwork and correspondence
- Assists with development and updates of operations policy and procedure manual
- May prepare and complete grant submittal and follow up grant reporting
- Assists Facility Manager with development of division budget and division goals and objectives
- Completes monthly revenue reports and assists with facility rentals
- Performs related duties as assigned
Highland Complex: Program emphasis is fitness, athletics and general program for all ages.
Training and Experience:
Bachelor Degree in Leisure Services, Physical Education or related field
At least three years of paid experience in full-time organized leisure work supervising recreation programs, programming classes and events for youth, senior, fitness and sports in a leadership role or equivalent combination of training and experience in a recreation center environment.
Proficiency with business software such as Microsoft Suite, etc. and/or proprietary software such as Rec Trac 4
Certification in CPR required within 6 months from hire
Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Extensive knowledge of:
philosophy and objectives of public recreation and public relations
recreation specialty for which hired such as programming for fitness and adult programming athletics, after school, summer camp, skate parks, tennis, sports, or general leisure programs
safety precautions and first aid
Knowledge and understanding of budget management (both revenue and expenditure) and the ability to track and reconcile budget(s) for assigned area
lead children and adults effectively to develop and maintain effective working relationships with the public and other employees
communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
work with assigned software, troubleshoot (as required) and train new staff
80% inside a climate controlled building. 20% outside which may include driving.
Physical Requirements: The essential functions of the job require: sitting approximately four (4) hours per day, standing approximately two (2) hours per day, and walking approximately two (2) hours per day. The work requires frequent: bending/stooping, climbing, crawling, fine manipulations, grasping, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, lifting/carrying of objects weighing up to 15 pounds, lifting/carrying of objects weighing 15 to 44 pounds, and lifting/carrying of objects weighing 45 pounds and over.
Sensory Requirements: Hearing: Ability to understand what others are saying in normal conversation in person and on the telephone, and hear activity in remote parts of the facility. Speaking: Ability to communicate orally with others in person, on the telephone, and while giving formal presentations to groups. Seeing: Ability to see and read computer monitor screens, create documents, and read fine print.
Driving Requirements: The work requires frequent driving and possession of a valid Florida Class “E” Driver License.
Office Machines: The work requires the ability to operate the following office machines: copiers, fax machines, and computers.
Tools: Ability to do minor repair and maintenance to fitness room equipment. Ability to set up sound for facility classes.
Providing the Largo community with superior services in a welcoming, supportive and informative manner is our mission! Equally important as our commitment to the community is our commitment to our employees who enjoy excellent benefits, competitive pay, and outstanding opportunities for continuing education, training, incentives and professional development.
The City of Largo strives to offer employees a comprehensive benefits package. Benefits include access to insurance plans for health, dental, vision, and life, flexible spending accounts, deferred compensation supplemental retirement accounts, paid holidays, a variety of leave time, tuition reimbursement, employee referral bonus and much more!
For more information on the City of Largo Employee Benefits offerings, please review our Largo Lifeline!
FY 2018 – 2019 Employee Benefits Summary (Download PDF reader)
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.