City of Lynchburg, VA
This position is part-time approximately 28 hours weekly and offers paid time off benefits.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Develops, implements, teaches, and evaluates a wide variety of classes/programs/special events serving adults and seniors;
- Acts as a liaison between local companies, agencies, clubs, churches, schools, athletic organizations, and colleges/universities to provide recreational programming and services;
- Develops and encourages positive relationships with neighborhoods, other organizations, and the larger community;
- Works with other program areas to deliver recreation programs in a center setting;
- Coordinates, recruits, supervises, and evaluates instructors, coaches, volunteers, etc. for a wide range of classes and activities;
- Coordinates and assists with setup and clean up before and after classes/activities;
- Enforces policies and program rules;
- Calculates participant fees, registers participants, collects and processes fees and donations;
- Operates specialized computer registration software packages such as Rec Pro;
- Supervises participant safety and discipline, and resolve conflicts;
- Provides excellent customer service: greeting participants, addressing customer concerns, answering phone calls and emails, and assisting with the day to day program operation;
- Records attendance and compiles reports;
- Conducts monetary transactions (collects fees, makes deposits, makes purchases, etc.) completing forms and reports adhering to all city policies and procedures;
- Assists with marketing efforts by writing articles, designing flyers/brochures, compiling calendars/newsletter information, distributing information to community, speaking to community groups, and appearing on television/radio shows;
- Inventories supplies/equipment and maintains proper storage;
- Performs custodial tasks as needed such as wiping off tables, cleaning kitchen appliances/equipment, wiping up spills, sweeping, and picking up trash, etc;
- Provides support services for other department programs and services;
- Serves in the absence of supervisor.
Directly supervises volunteers and instructors planning, assigning, and directing work. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Employee will assist in training new employees and will address complaints and resolve problems as appropriate.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL DUTIES WHEN ASSIGNED TO TEMPLETON CENTER:
- Provides direct services and program supervision of a wide variety of classes, activities, and sports planned specifically for the fifty-plus population working daytime, evenings, and weekends;
- Must have general knowledge of the aging process, the social and economic characteristics for the fifty plus population, and understand the need, when necessary, of program adaptation;
- Must have some knowledge of the philosophy, principles, and practices of community based recreation programs and activities;
- Researches new program ideas: planning, developing and implementing a variety of programs assisting with fitness, life skills, and knowledge of the elderly population;
- Provides community support for the fifty plus population;
- Works as a liaison for a variety of partnerships with organizations, companies, agencies (CVAL/ UL Beard Center on Aging), clubs, churches, schools, and colleges/universities to provide services;
- Develops and assists with the supervision of city-wide special events/activities for fifty plus population;
- Plans, coordinates, and escorts trips, and drives City of Lynchburg Parks & Rec vehicles as needed;
- Performs basic janitorial tasks such as litter pickup and facility cleaning;
- Must have ability to plan and supervise the work of contractual staff, instructors, and volunteers;
- Must have ability to work in a team environment, to establish and maintain effective working relationships with team members, volunteers, participants, and citizens;
- Must be able to work independently to meet deadlines and complete assigned work.
- Works in a team management style organization requiring strong emphasis on interpersonal skills with coworkers and the general public;
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of two years of course work from an accredited college or university preferred. Considerable experience in a recreation setting, developing, implementing and supervising programs.
Additional Requirements: OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Valid Virginia driver’s license and acceptable driving record according to City criteria;
- Must acquire CPR and General First Aid certifications within the first six months and maintain certifications;
- Must have flexible schedule and be available to work evenings and weekends.
- Must successfully complete IS100 and IS700 National Incident Management (NIMS) training within 90 days of employment. May also be required to complete higher levels of NIMS training as determined appropriate for the position.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to prepare written reports;
- Skilled in public relations and public service experience;
- Must be able to maintain good relations with all staff, participants, and other concerned groups. Must have the ability to work with and cooperate with participants, associates, and the general public;
- Must be able to manage time effectively, show work initiative, and work independently;
- Must be available to work a flexible work schedule, including days, evenings, and weekends;
- Reliable, consistent attendance is essential to this position;
- Ability to drive city vehicles including a 12-passenger van;
- Must obtain First Aid and CPR certifications within six months of employment;
- Prior to employment, satisfactory checks on the following must be obtained: criminal record, Child Protective Services, driving record, and employment reference checks;
- Solid computer skills, to include Microsoft and email applications, ability to learn and use data base software for management of recreation programs;
- Must enjoy working with all age groups; must enjoy working outdoors.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence;
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals;
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form;
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to provide conflict resolution and solid interpersonal skills involving citizens, suppliers, instructors, partners, or other City employees;
- Ability to coordinate a project or supervise/lead a small to medium-size team;
- Ability to lead group activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have a good knowledge of recreation programming;
- Must have a general knowledge of major sports and group games;
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of staff or part-time workers and volunteers;
- Ability to prepare reports and ability to communicate effectively, orally, and in writing;
- Must be able to excel in a team-based environment;
- Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications and the ability to learn specialized computer applications.
While performing the duties of this job:
- Employee is frequently required to sit, stand, or move about for long periods of time;
- Use hands to grasp or hold objects, and as a teaching instructional tool;
- Communicate clearly through verbal speech and auditory hearing;
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.