I. Basic Purpose:
Responsible for conducting aerobics classes in a safe environment, following class description. Each class will consist of warm-up conditioning phase and cool-down phase.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
2. Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers. Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
3. Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to position as mandated by Martin Health System.
4. Teaches and leads group exercise classes according to the type of class, level of class and class schedule. Accurately record class participation numbers. Must teach a minimum of 1 class per week with the exception of seasonal employees.
5. Motivates class participants through constant supervision, instruction, and cueing, and assists students in following the exercise routine.
6. Interacts with participants continually to become familiar with their goals and recognizes potential problems.
7. Demonstrates basic courtesy’s in regards to work performance: promptness with starting and ending time, requires minimal subbing, locates a sub when needed, and willingness to sub for other instructors when asked. Ensure that any used equipment is picked up, put away and stereo equipment turned off.
8. Works independently by taking initiative with classes and the exercise program by providing suggestions to Health & Fitness Group Exercise Coordinator.
9. Monitors client status by recognizing unusual clinical signs and symptoms of distress and acting accordingly.
10. Provides a safe exercise environment by performing choreography, strengthening and stretching that are safe and healthy according to current exercise standards and the population that is being taught.
11. Be an advocate of the Health & Fitness Centers at all times. Display at all times a professional and enthusiastic attitude.
12. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
13. Attends meetings as required.
14. Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
III. Minimum Requirements (experience, training, and education):
- High school diploma or equivalent; (2) certifications are preferred
- Land Classes: One current group professional fitness exercise certification (i.e. AFAA, AAAI, or ACE)
- Specialty Classes: Certifications including but not limited to: Zumba, Indoor Cycling, Pilates or Stott Pilates Reformer/Equipment, Yoga, SilverSneakers
- Swim Lessons: Swim Lesson Instructors are required to be certified by the American Red Cross as a Water Safety Instructor (WSI).
- Aquatic Classes: Aquatic Exercise Instructors are required to be certified by the Aquatic Exercise Association (AEA), United States Water Fitness Association (USWFA), American Aerobic Association International (AAAI) or Aqua Zumba.
- Current acceptable CPR certification: American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider OR American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
Candidate must also have three or more years of experience teaching group exercise; ability to instruct at least three types of classes; demonstrated ability to teach to every fitness level; ability to work independently and periodically perform subbing duties; and excellent communication skills.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic’s Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.