HealthFitness has an exciting new opportunity for a full-time (40 hours per week, benefits eligible) Fitness Coordinator at our Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) client site located in Cambridge, Massachusetts! In this position, you will serve on the fitness management team. You will primarily supervise and manage the Fitness Floor attendants (hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating) and the private golf, squash, and ice skating facilities. You will work as the Point of Contact for fitness, develop at least two incentive programs (including events, marketing, recruiting, and tracking participation) per year, maintain the safety and well-being of the fitness center patrons, clean equipment daily and assist with machine and equipment upkeep, assist patrons with questions and concerns, and provide education on proper machine instruction. You will actively represent the fitness team on department committees including, but not limited to, Customer Service and Employee Recognition. You may also participate in program delivery and perform other staff responsibilities such as instructing group exercise classes; personal training; conducting fitness tests, exercise prescriptions and orientations; and fitness floor coverage and facility oversight.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversees all programming within designated areas; develops coordinates, manages, implements and evaluates health and fitness programs within specified program areas to maximize participation, outcomes and customer satisfaction and supervision of programs, services and staff. Ensures staff is properly trained and certified.
- Recruit, hire, train, and evaluate all massage therapists, golf, squash, ice skate, nutrition instructors, golf simulator and fitness desk attendants. Maintain accurate records for all staff, follow all written procedures for training and development.
- Manage the fitness floor approximately 10 hours/week.
- Responsible for opening and/or closing the fitness center.
- Maintains order and appearance of all fitness center equipment.
- Inspects equipment and reports any unsafe conditions or maintenance needs.
- Completes the hourly participation counts.
- Takes the initiative to tend to any areas in need of attention and submit work orders for the entire facility.
- Has knowledge of and enforces fitness center policies as listed in the employee manual and membership handbook.
- Communicate and relay information, concerns, and feedback to the Associate Director of Programs and Wellness directly or through lead staff.
- Active representative on the Recreation Customer Service committee.
- Reports to work on time and in the proper uniform.
- Ensures patron safety by remaining knowledgeable and providing instruction on the proper use of fitness center equipment.
- Maintains a visibly positive and approachable composure to promote patron and employee interaction.
- Provides customer service on the fitness floor.
- Available and knowledgeable on various types of free weight spotting techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Excel (including formulas) and Word.
- Provides individual and group exercise instruction as applicable; educates participants on proper techniques to maximize exercise safety and effectiveness.
- Other duties as needed/assigned.
Education, Experience & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, Health Promotion, Kinesiology or related discipline; 3+ years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, coordinating and delivering effective programs including budgeting, marketing and promotions.
- Current First Aid and CPR/AED or BLS certification through the AHA or Red Cross is required.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work demands.
- Strong interpersonal communication and customer service skills including the ability to motivate others.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including at minimum Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team with enthusiasm, initiative and creativity.
- Proficiency in fitness assessment and exercise prescription if applicable.
- Industry recognized Group Exercise certification.
- Personal Training industry certification (ACE, AFAA, NSCA, NASM, ACSM).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.