Position: Senior Services Coordinator
Department: Council on Aging
Salary Grade Level:
Date Last Revised: 09/23/2020
Performs a wide variety of daily tasks to operate the Council on Aging programs through the Lenox
Community Center. The Senior Services Coordinator is an advocate for an elder sensitive and collaborative community. This position is responsible for administration of the COA and development and implementation of policies, programs and services to serve senior citizens.
Serves under the supervision of the Community Center Director with occasional direction from the
Community Center Board and subcommittees.
Major Duties (essential job functions)
- Oversees the daily operation of the COA office
- Prepares and oversees the production and distribution of the newsletter
- Works with Elder Services of Berkshire County and regional Council on Aging groups and attends meetings reporting on activities and offering input
- Helps maintain a motivated and active volunteer base, and assists in recruiting, training and supervising them.
- Aids in development of new programs and confers with State and local officials, and professional and community organizations to develop better ways to meet the needs of senior citizens.
- Provides oversight of the nutrition program at the Community Center
- Oversees fitness instructor programs
- Performs part-time outreach, assessing senior’s needs in the community
- Responds to requests to assist seniors, providing information, referrals and support.
- Provides ongoing support to seniors living along or in precarious health or safety conditions
- Develops and maintains confidential files and reports
- Coordinates senior transportation services through the operation of the COA van, and provides monthly reports to the BRTA on COA van usage
- Oversees and assists with “Brown Bag” distribution on a monthly basis
- Coordinates SHINE and BVNA services
- Prepares monthly client status reports
- Knowledgeable in grant writing
- Helps coordinate Senior Tax work off hours
- Helps plan and coordinate senior trips
- Provides advocacy in areas such as legal, social security, food stamps, health, housing, medical and fuel assistance
- Makes frequent home visits to local seniors to assist them in defining their needs and facilitating access to services.
- Plans and collaborates with other staff members to prepare a monthly schedule of new and existing programs.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Occasionally the employee will be required to make visits to individuals’ homes, retirement homes, senior housing and nursing homes when appropriate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, hear and smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications
-High school graduate
-Two years of experience in human services working with seniors, in a social service or public health position or in a related field; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
-Knowledge of the Federal and State services and local resources available to the seniors preferred.
-Ability to develop effective and constructive working relationships with senior citizens, service providers, human service agencies, and the general public.
-Compassion for seniors and should derive a genuine pleasure in working with senior citizens.
-Knowledge of “My Senior Software” preferred but not required.
-Valid driver’s license required with reliable transportation
-Must possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills
-Must be knowledgeable and proficient with operating computers
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are roughly Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Occasional morning, evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out of the area travel may occur.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- One location
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is:
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.