Mindful Life Project
Job Description – Mindful Life Instructor
About Mindful Life Project
Mindful Life Project (MLP) is an educational non-profit organization headquartered in Richmond, CA whose mission is to empower underserved children through mindfulness and other transformative skills to gain self-awareness, confidence, self-regulation and resilience, leading to lifelong success. MLP envisions schools where all students are able to participate and excel both socially and academically. Our programs focus on empowering students by providing them with mindfulness skills and tools that lead to improved self-awareness, impulse control, confidence and resiliency. We believe that every student has the innate ability to be a successful member of the school and the community. By providing students with mindfulness skills that improve social-emotional skills, our partner schools experience improved school climates and classroom learning environments.
The Mindful Life Instructor will be motivated by, and appreciate the value of cultivating mindfulness, social-emotional learning and whole child development in schools. The individual in this role will work well individually, work well in teams and closely align with, and represent, MLP’s mission, vision and values (Mindfulness, Self-Awareness, Curiosity, Social Justice, and Celebration). The individual in this role is an excellent communicator and exemplifies professionalism. This individual also has a deep passion for building strong connections and community at school sites as well as with other members of the MLP team.
The Mindful Life Instructor will deliver Mindful Life Projects curriculum in whole class settings and/or small groups throughout the regular school day in alignment with the curriculum’s pacing guide. Mindful Life Projects curriculum delivers 20-30 minute lessons, depending on grade, weekly to each classroom at a partner school site for the entire school year. In small group settings, the Mindful Life Instructor will weave mindfulness lessons from MLP’s curriculum into multiple modalities including: Yoga, Expressive arts and Performing Arts. Lessons will be delivered in alignment with MLP’s curriculum pacing guide. Each small group will be 45 minutes, with eight students from the same grade level. During the regular school day, a typical day will include five small group sessions. In two-on-one settings the Mindful Life Instructor will work with two students that are in need of more intervention/prevention support in approximately 20 minute sessions. Instructors will also organize events for school families and community to bring awareness to Mindfulness.This individual will attend mandatory MLP meetings, complete student, class, or school reports as necessary and will be supervised by the Program Manager. Along with instruction, the Mindful Life Instructor will also raise awareness within the school community by delivering handouts, preparing special student projects, and connecting with school staff and families. This individual will enjoy creating strong connections with the members of the school they serve.
- Deliver Mindful Life Projects curriculum in whole classroom settings, small group settings and/or two-on-one settings in a safe and engaging manner
- Stay on pace with the curriculum guide
- Provide support and guidance to Mindful Life Project partner school’s students
- Explain, demonstrate and guide students through mindfulness techniques in a safe and engaging manner
- Plan and prepare lessons for delivery
- Comply with all necessary school district requirements for providing program services to students at school sites
- Abide by all School, District and MLP policies and procedures
Professional Development / Reporting Student Progress
- Attend and complete all required Mindful Life Project professional trainings in person and/or online
- Attend all required meetings and trainings
- Complete and submit all required Mindful Life Project reports on student progress and school atmosphere
- Alert Program Manager to any high risk students or teachers and collaborate on extra support as needed
- Facilitate student assessments and complete reports as required
Integrating Mindfulness in School Community
- Grow positive public awareness of Mindful Life Project and strengthen its reputation
- Collaborate with Program Managers throughout the year on how best to support whole school mindfulness implementation
- Attend School Site Staff Meetings
- Attend Back to School night, Open House and MLP family nights
- Organize events for school families and community to bring awareness to Mindfulness
- Collaborate with school site staff to maximize impact of MLP’s programming
- Promote the importance of mindfulness in schools and the mission of MLP
- Collaboratively create and deliver handouts and/or mindfulness resources to school staff and families to raise awareness
- Attend MLP’s community events
- Education – Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience – Experience as a classroom teacher, substitute teacher, after school program coordinator or educator in other settings. Familiarity, or experience with delivering mindfulness in schools is preferred.
- Mindfulness – Strong understanding, experience, and passion for mindfulness practices
- Technical – Proficient in Google Suite
- Ability to articulate MLP’s mission and programs, and show passion for the mission and values of MLP
- Excellent communication skills; communicate and collaborate effectively with all adults at school site
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Must possess good judgment and exercise diplomacy in dealing with a variety of school situations
- Ability to interact skillfully with all individuals in school communities
- Ability to form strong connections with youth from varying backgrounds
- Ability to deliver MLP curriculum in engaging and relevant ways
- Ability to stand and walk over the course of a school day
- Ability to carry up to 20 lbs. of equipment when necessary
This is a part time non-exempt position. Competitive salary, health benefits, generous paid time off with paid vacation, and sick leave.
THE ABOVE STATEMENTS REFLECT THE GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR JOB PERFORMANCE AND ARE NOT TO BE CONSIDERED AN ALL-INCLUSIVE LIST. ALL STAFF ARE EXPECTED TO SUPPORT THE MISSION AND VALUES OF MINDFUL LIFE PROJECT.
Equal Opportunity Employer
MLP is an equal employment opportunity employer. Our organizations policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. The organization also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $36,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
While the schools that we partner with continue to be closed during COVID our employees are working remotely.
- One location
- Multiple locations
Hours per week:
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
- People-oriented — supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.