Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy
NORTHERN VIRGINIA CRIMINAL JUSTICE TRAINING ACADEMY
45299 Research Place Ashburn, Virginia 20147-2600
703 729-4299 Fax 703 729-4634
PHYSICAL FITNESS SUPERVISOR
Position Grade: 14
The Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy (NVCJTA) is seeking a highly motivated and engaged professional to lead and manage the Physical Fitness and Officer Wellness Program within the Academy’s Basic Training Program. The NVCJTA provides basic training to law enforcement recruits representing seventeen police and sheriff’s agencies.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under general supervision, the incumbent will coordinate, schedule, and supervise all Physical Fitness training, to include an overall wellness program, for NVCJTA basic recruits and member agencies when requested. The incumbent is responsible for supervising assigned instructors and assisting them in instructing on a daily basis; coordinating all wellness and fitness curriculum, training materials, and information; conducts staff meetings; conducts program evaluations and institutes changes; conducts classroom and field training instruction; coordinates, plans, and schedules training; and prepares and maintains files and reports. Performs related work as required.
Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Education, Physical Training (i.e. exercise or health sciences), or closely related field; supplemented by six (6) years previous experience and/or training in a criminal justice agency with a minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience in a criminal justice agency; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Holds current certification from one or more recognized physical fitness and wellness programs such as:
Certified through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) as a Tactical Strength and Conditioning Facilitator® (TSAC-F®), Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist® (CSCS®), or as a Certified Personal Trainer® (NSCA-CPT®).
CrossFit Level 3, or higher, Trainer certification.
Group Fitness Instructor certification through the American Council on Exercise (ACE).
Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD).
Registered Dietitian (RD) or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) Certifications, or other similarly accepted nationally recognized nutritionist coaching certification.
Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC).
Group rowing machine instructor certification.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and practical experience of physical fitness whole-body development and wellness improvement.
- Ability to coordinate all wellness and fitness programs, training material, and information with NVCJTA basic staff and participating agencies; prepares and reviews all lesson plans to ensure that all lesson plans are kept accurate and complete and that they are updated each session; researches lesson plan materials (videos, periodicals, training manuals) to ensure training and instruction is realistic, applicable, and effective for law enforcement.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and utilize information effectively in a manner to improve activities and production, specifically related to law enforcement trainees.
- Ability to conduct program evaluations and institutes necessary changes, to include talking with trainers, and receiving updated training.
- Ability to identify issues or situations as they occur and specify decision objectives, or assist in identification of alternative solutions to issues or situations.
- Ability to exercise analytical judgment in areas of responsibility.
- Has a clear and comprehensive understanding of the principles of effective leadership, as well as the application of such principles to functions under charge. Able to exercise enthusiasm in influencing and guiding others toward achievement of established goals and objectives.
- Ability to develop and implement safety guidelines for newly instituted training techniques, lesson plans, and activities.
- Knowledge of instruction techniques, preferably in a law enforcement academy or a comparable agency.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and coordinate training needs for Academy instructors related to the Physical Training Program
- Ability to effectively train, develop, supervise and evaluate performance of staff.
- Ability to implement decisions in accordance with prescribed and effective policies and procedures and with a minimum of errors. Seek expert or experienced advisement where appropriate, and research issues, situations, and alternatives prior to exercising judgment.
- Ability to prepare and maintain inventory and control of equipment and supplies to include, but not limited to, that which is assigned to the Physical Training Program.
Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License from state/district of residence.
Must possess and maintain, or obtain within 90 days of employment, or as training classes are scheduled, a Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services General Instructor certification.
Preference for possession and maintenance of nationally recognized certification(s) related to health and wellness coaching.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Must successfully complete a character background investigation, must be able to perform essential job functions (reasonable accommodation may be made on a case-by-case basis); must have never committed, been involved in, or been convicted of, a felony or serious misdemeanor, must be of good character and reputation.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The starting salary range for the position is $59,163 to 78,241 based on qualifications.
Position offers an extensive benefits package including comprehensive life and health insurance, vacation and sick leave accrual, and retirement plans.
The Academy operates on a four-day work week schedule, Tuesday through Friday, 6:00 AM through 4:30 PM
All Academy buildings and training facilities are smoke free.
Resumes and cover letters may be submitted by mail or e-mail and will be accepted until 4:00 PM on Friday, November 27, 2020.
Mailing address: Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy
45299 Research Place
Ashburn, VA. 20147-2600
Attn: Mr. Jeff Mees
Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation during the selection process. This request should be made in a timely manner to the NVCJTA and may include an alternate format application or other accommodation at the mutual agreement of the Academy and applicant.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $59,163.00 – $78,241.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
All persons entering the building are subject to COVID-19 screening and must comply with Academy regulations.
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Law enforcement or training: 6 years (Preferred)
- Supervisory: 2 years (Preferred)
- One location
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.