South Sound Young Mens Christian Assn
The Instructor is responsible for leadership of using techniques suggested and approved by the National YMCA. The instructor is also responsible for the safety and overall satisfaction of participants. Age Range 16+
The position requires a background in physical fitness activities. Instructor should be at least 16 years of age with appropriate education and experience to instruct the chosen fitness programs. It is the responsibility of the instructor to maintain certifications. Additionally, it is the instructors’ monetary responsibility to maintain those certifications (if applicable to certifications). Instructor should demonstrate the people skills to be able to work well with members, coworkers and supervisors.
- Current Child & Infant and Adult CPR, AED and First Aid must be obtained within 30-days of hire and be current throughout length of employment.
- South Sound YMCA’s – New Employee Orientation must be obtained within 45-days of hire.
Supports the Mission, Vision and Direction of the YMCA
Understands and supports the mission of the YMCA; displays the YMCA values; displays flexibility and accepts change; is willing to try new methods and make suggestions; shows a strong commitment to the YMCA; conveys enthusiasm for the YMCA and his/her work.
Understands and embraces the role of volunteers; helps members and participants make connections to others and to the YMCA; practices effective relationship-building techniques; supports the role of fund-raising in achieving the YMCA mission.
Provides a Quality Experience for Members, Participants, Internal Customers and Others Possesses the ability to deliver outstanding experiences for members and participants; builds warm and supportive relationships; consistently greets and assists everyone in a positive way; strives to provide service that will exceed expectations; responds to concerns and complaints in a way that makes each person feel valued; initiates action for prompt resolution; looks for better ways to serve and involve members and program participants.
Demonstrates responsible actions; consistently performs duties in a safe and conscientious manner within the agreed upon timeframe; follows standards, policies, and procedures; is reliable and consistently punctual; actively participates in staff meetings, required trainings, and other work related activities; uses good judgment; uses YMCA resources appropriately and efficiently.
Uses Effective Personal Behaviors/Communicates Effectively
Treats everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; displays integrity; listens actively and genuinely; communicates in a clear and pleasant manner; embraces differences among people; demonstrates an active willingness to learn and grow; accepts constructive criticism; works cooperatively as a team member.
- Conduct classes in a manner approved by the National YMCA.
- Stay abreast of new techniques and exercises.
- Modify classes regularly to ensure continued interest.
- Be aware of injury recognition and prevention through proper exercise to ensure safety of participants.
- Incorporate YMCA values in classes through presentation of materials, attitude and discussion topics.
- Notify Supervisor of any equipment malfunctions or repairs immediately.
- Ensure stereo, music, Mic, and all class equipment is returned to appropriate storage area after classes.
- Conduct classes in a manner that typifies the YMCA philosophy. All leaders should be enthusiastic and outgoing in presentation of class material.
- Provide support and encouragement for all participants, regardless of fitness level.
- Promote other YMCA programs during classes when needed.
- Seek feedback from participants on program to ensure their needs are being met.
- Obtain additional knowledge through attendance at workshops, observation of other leaders, and individual study.
- Dress according to YMCA Policy.
- Attend all department and branch staff meetings as scheduled by Supervisor.
- Assist with other association projects and programs as needed.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance, stoop, kneel, and talk and hear. Incumbent must be able to move freely and quickly throughout YMCA facilities; communicate effectively with people in person, on the phone and via written correspondence; and use a computer for a significant portion of the work day. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.