- Supervises the lifeguard staff for Recreation and Wellness. Provide leadership to student and contingent employees.
- Responsible for the daily management of lifeguards, including the staff recruitment, hiring, orientation, training, scheduling, motivation and retention of student and contingent personnel.
- Develop and implement orientation program for new staff.
- Create employee handbook and polices.
- Plan, organize and facilitate monthly in-service training. Ensure employees have proper up to date training certifications for lifeguarding, CPR and first aid.
- Complete quarterly evaluations, and if needed, disciplinary action for personnel.
- Advance personnel as well as organize educational development and provide on-going performance feedback.
- Ensures customer encounters are courteous, respectful and efficient.
- Oversee the day to day activity of the pools.
- Review, evaluate, and recommend changes to the policies and procedures relating to the operations of Aquatics, with constant regard to the Recreation strategic plan.
- Assist with the implementation of facility policies and procedures to include facility access, emergency action plans, and standard operating procedures.
- Inspect facility for maintenance, janitorial and fire safety issues.
- Ensure pool facilities are compliant with federal, state, and county public health and safety regulations.
- Assist with the inventory and maintenance of equipment related to the lifeguards and facility emergency preparedness.
- Act independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments. Manage and troubleshoot operations as it pertains to Rec Swim.
- Assist with the implementation of policies and procedures to include facility access, emergency action plans, and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure policies and procedures are followed in accordance with established service and safety standards in recreation and aquatics programs and swimming pool operations.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with University and/ or community representatives and other regular contacts
- Serves on Recreation and Wellness, DAPER, and campus committees as directed.
- Represent Stanford Recreation and Wellness at campus events, such as New Student Orientation, department programs, fairs, athletic events, program registrations, greet and serve as a resource.
- Assists other Recreation and Wellness staff as necessary
- Performs as a member of a high-quality team and promotes teamwork in all interactions within the organization
- May act as supervisor in supervisor’s absence.
- Develop and analyze feedback loops in the form of surveys and customer response forms.
- Track facility usage data, create reports and recommend alternative solutions.
- Investigate, document and report complaints regarding all aspects of operations including customer service, safety/security and staff issues.
- Process semimonthly payroll in accordance with department and University policy and procedures.
- Assist with the scheduling of special events, group visits and club sports.
- Assist with the communication, outreach and marketing of all aquatic programs including lifeguard classes and CPR/AED and first aid training.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s degree in the field of recreation, kinesiology or related field preferred).
- Candidate must have a minimum of four years of relevant aquatic and pool operations experience or combination of education and relevant experience (in campus recreation preferred).
- Demonstrated experience in training instructional and aquatics staff.
- Knowledge or ability to learn how to create training videos, webinars, and manuals.
- Strong computer skills such as Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities in order to perform a high volume of detailed work with constant interruptions.
- Ability to use proper judgment around maintaining equipment while considering and working around a highly populated area.
- Ability to be resourceful and creative in problem solving while not sacrificing quality or safety of environment.
- Demonstrates leadership traits including effective communication, supervisory skills, and the ability to manage workflow.
- Excellent customer service experience and a proven ability to meet performance standards.
- Knowledge or ability to learn how to collects feedback from surveys and summarize data.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing with individuals and groups of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Able to use authority, knowledge and judgment to effectively respond to complicated requests.
- Ability to multi task.
- Ability to learn policies and procedures and correctly provide that information to customers and use information to make sound decisions
- Ability to coordinate daily activities including work scheduling, quality assurance, monitoring of activities, and supervision of personnel.
- Knowledge of current risk management practices in recreational facilities and student management strategies.
- Current certification in American Red Cross Lifeguarding.
- Must obtain within six months of hire: Certified Pool Operator (CPO), Lifeguard Instructor (LGI), First Aid Instructor, and CPR/AED Instructor
- Ability to exert physical effort, including the ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds, bending, squatting, reaching, or being on feet for long periods of time.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, perform desk based computer tasks, use a telephone, and grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Routine work during normal business hours, evenings and weekends. May need to work occasional extended hours.
- Requires 24-hour response availability seven days a week for emergency situations.
- May be exposed to noise > 80dB TWA.
- May work at heights 4-10ft.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, https://adminguide.stanford.edu/.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for insuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.