Texas Department of Transportation
MULTILEVEL POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
TxDOT’s Bryan District is looking for two self-motivated Safety Officers levels I – VI to join our team in Bryan, Texas.
Do you like being “hands-on” and finding solutions? Do you have what it takes to support a strong safety culture? Can you establish your own priorities and meet team objectives with minimal supervision? If so, apply for our Safety Officer position in the Bryan District. You’ll work with a diverse group of people on safety initiatives for our agency and will be a key player in our local safety program. This position includes ensuring measures are in place to provide a safe workplace for TxDOT employees and educational information is readily available. Let’s get started! We look forward to hearing from you.
At TxDOT we value employee work-life-balance. In keeping with our commitment to this value our employees benefit from a wide array of programs and activities that include telework, flexed and compressed work schedules, wellness leave incentive, in-house wellness center, career development programs, tuition assistance, and various other benefits. For a complete list of our total compensation package please visit our website at: http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/hrd/careers/hidden_benefits.pdf
Work Location : 2791 North Earl Rudder FWY, Bryan, TX 77803
- Safety Officer I: A13 $29,439.00 – $46,388.00
- Safety Officer II: B16 $34,918.00 – $55,130.00
- Safety Officer III: B18 $39,521.00 – $64,449.00
- Safety Officer IV: B20 $45,158.00 – $73,788.00
- Safety Officer V: B22 $51,614.00 – $84,479.00
- Safety Officer VI: B24 $59,004.00 – $96,720.00
Travel : 50%
This job posting is for two Safety Officer positions I, II, III, IV, V or VI depending on business needs and the applicant’s qualifications.
Military Occup Specialty Code
State Classification Code: 0154 / 2730 / 2731 / 2732 / 2733 / 2734
Oversees a district safety program in accordance with the Occupational Safety Division Manual. Works to create an active interest in accident prevention and the safety program. Employees at this level establish their own work plan and priorities to meet set objectives. Issues are rarely referred to the supervisor but are handled at the occurrence.
The essential duties for this job include:
- Plans, schedules and administers training on safety issues including defensive driving, CPR, first-aid, fleet safety and hazardous materials; maintains training records.
- Maintains comprehensive written hazard communication program for the division; develops local policies, procedures, guidelines and rule interpretations to comply with federal, state and local rules and regulations.
- Investigates employee accidents, prepares reports and maintains records; identifies injury types and accident causes, recommends preventative actions and conducts follow-up investigations. Investigates highway fatalities in the district and monitors excessive accident locations.
- Performs industrial hygiene testing of departmental operations to ensure compliance with safety and hazardous materials regulations and to minimize employee health risks/exposures.
- Plans, schedules and monitors programs or activities that promote employee safety and accident prevention.
- Monitors workers’ compensation records.
- Coordinates/processes permits and licenses with applicable resource and regulatory agencies; prepares and maintains annual Tier Two and Workplace Chemical Lists and submits reports at least annually.
- Monitors compliance with material safety data sheet (MSDS) requirements and monitors and recommends updates for Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) plan.
- Performs other job responsibilities as assigned.
The required competencies for this job include:
- Applicable industry safety standards, guidelines and specification codes
- Methods and procedures involving storage & transport of hazardous materials
- Researching, analyzing and interpreting policies and state and federal laws and regulations
- Collecting, sorting and compiling data
- Planning, coordinating and presenting workshops, seminars, training and task force activities
- Communicate effectively
- Administrative practices and procedures to include writing, editing and report writing techniques, recording meeting notes, record keeping and records management.
- Preparing and maintaining confidential and sensitive records, files and reports
- Strong knowledge of using computers and applicable programs, applications and systems
- Collaborates and cooperates with others and builds effective working relationships with internal and external members to accomplish organizational goals
This job requires the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Safety , Industrial Technology,Business Admin or related discipline
- Relevant experience may be substituted for education on a year per year basis.
This job requires the following:
- 0-5 years in Occupational Safety, Industrial hygiene or related work areas depending on the level of position.
- Experience can be satisfied by full-time or prorated part-time equivalent
- No supervisory experience required.
Licenses and Certifications
The following Licenses and/or Certifications are required for this job:
- Valid Driver’s Licensee at the time of application
- Cert Req. See Other Conditions
- Safety Impact Certificate*
This is a Safety Impact position (either Safety Impact, Commercial Driver and/or Vessel Crew Member) and will be subject to random drug testing.*Safety Impact certificate will be issued by TxDOT at the time of hire.
Safety Officer IV – Must have or obtain within one year from the date of employment one of the following professional safety designations:
Safety Officer V and VI – Must have one of the following professional safety designations:
1) Advanced Safety Certificate (ASC) (2) Associate Safety Professional or Certified Safety Professional or (3) equivalent training or certification as determined by the Occupational Safety Division (OCC).
Safety Officer VI – Must have completed OSHA 500 Trainer Course in Construction and OSHA 501 Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry.
Conditions of Employment
Conditions for this Position: Standards of Employment
- Safety Impact certifications are not required at the time of application. As required, the Safety Impact, Commercial Driver and/or Vessel Crewmember certification (s) will be issued by TxDOT at the time of hire.
- Must pass a drug test prior to employment for commercial driver, safety impact and vessel crewmember positions. Commercial drivers, safety impact employees and vessel crewmembers will be subject to additional drug and alcohol testing during employment.
- Required to work weekends, emergency operations and holidays.
- Required to work hours other than 8 to 5.
- Required to work under exposure to inclement weather conditions.
- Required to wear personal protective equipment provided by employer and comply with all safety requirements.
You must complete the online State of Texas application to include work experience, education and all information necessary. Your online application and additional information on your resume, if provided, will be reviewed to determine if you meet minimum requirements for the position.
The Texas Department of Transportation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination in the workplace.
Job postings expire at 11:59 PM Central Standard Time.
NOTE: All Job Postings will expire at 11:59 PM Central Standard Time (CST) on the Posting Close Date.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.