US Department of Defense
- Adapt treatment to new, experimental, and ground-breaking theories in the focus of diverse patient care for women, ranging from inpatient to outpatient settings.
- Initiates and implements strategies to evaluate outcomes of practice, practice patterns, and systems of care for women against National benchmarks.
- Serve as project lead or associate in the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of obstetrics/gynecology healthcare and clinical research.
- Obtain and record a problem-oriented health history; orders and interprets related laboratory and diagnostic tests; performs a systematic physical examination.
- Independently manages labor and childbirth in accordance with clinical privileges.
- Prescribe medications; initiates emergency care, as appropriate.
- Conduct interdisciplinary and intradisciplinary collaboration with physicians regarding patient management, to include evaluating and revising therapeutic plans and managing high-risk, unstable, or extremely complex patients.
- Participate in patient care rounds and conferences, presenting patient cases/topics and communicating patient management strategies to members of the patient care team.
- Provide teaching to patients and their families regarding disease processes and diagnostic tests; therapeutic regimen, including medication, diet, follow-up care; and methods of adapting medication and treatment to current lifestyles.
- Counsel patients and their families in prevention of illness, maintenance of health, and attainment of physical, mental, and social well-being.
- Oversee compliance/adherence with the preventive health care needs of all adult patients visiting the obstetrics/gynecology clinic.
- Serve in a leadership position and is recognized as a consultant and role model to other health care professionals, colleagues, professional groups, and universities.
- Coordinate and/or conduct in-service education programs for health care professionals and serves as an advisor/member of committees, as assigned.
- Act as a instructor/ teacher to graduate students enrolled in nurse midwifery, nurse practitioner and physician assistant programs, medical students and to newly hired nurse practitioners.
- Utilize advanced medical equipment such as ultrasounds and electric fetal heart rate monitors.
Job family (Series)
- Family Practice Nurse Practitioners
- Healthcare Practitioners, All Other
- Nurse Practitioners
- Practitioners, Family Practice Nurse
- Practitioners, Healthcare, All Other
- Practitioners, Nurse
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check are required.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- This position requires regular contact with children under the age 18 and a favorable determination of suitability to do so.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position
- This position is subject to a pre-employment drug screening, and random testing thereafter, to include testing based on reasonable suspicion and testing due to direct involvement with an on-duty accident.
- This position requires the incumbent to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an “on call” basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated ?Mission Essential?. In the event of severe weather conditions or emergency situations (natural or man-made) the incumbent is required to report as scheduled or remain at work to support mission operations.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- This position requires the incumbent to obtain and maintain Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Individual Occupational Requirements for an Advance Practice Nurse (Certified Nurse Midwife):
Nursing Education: graduate or higher level degree, bachelor’s degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs,Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. (NOTE: You must attach a copy of your transcripts with your application package.)
Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) Education: Applicants must possess a graduate or higher level Nurse Practitioner degree from an accredited educational program. (NOTE: You must attach a copy of your transcripts with your application package.)
Foreign Nursing Schools: An official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools. (NOTE: You must submit a copy of your certification with your application package.)
Selective Placement Factor: Advanced Practice Registered Nurse positions require certification by a nationally recognized certifying body appropriate to the specialty area of (Nurse Midwife) or within 12 months of graduation, the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse will achieve certification. (NOTE: You must attach a copy of your Certification with your application package.)
Nurse License/Registration: Applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination and must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. (NOTE: You must attach a copy of your license/registration with your application package.)
Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) License/Registration: Applicants must possess a license or registration by a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States as a Nurse Practitioner (Nurse Midwife). (NOTE: You must attach a copy of your license/registration with your application package.)
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Nursing Experience: At least one full year of professional nursing experience which includes in a hospital setting performing routine physical examinations to patients, comprehensive gynecological care; managing labor and childbirth delivery; providing patient or family education; and providing comprehensive assessment to acute and/or non acute-obstetrical patients.This definition of experience is typical of work performed at the next lower
grade/level position in the federal service (GS-12).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone-no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Incentives may be authorized.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Veterans and Military Spouses will be considered along with all other candidates.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements: You MUST submit a copy of your transcript if you want to substitute your education for experience. If you claim qualifications based on education, and do not submit a transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualification determination and you may be found “not qualified.” See: Transcripts and Licenses.
- License/Certification: If the position has a license/certification requirement, you MUST submit a copy of your current, active, valid, unrestricted license/certification. See: Transcripts and Licenses.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person’s personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
About the Position:This position is located at Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Director for Surgery, Department of OB/GYN, Women’s Health Clinic. The Department of OB/GYN, The Advance Practice Nurse (Certified Nurse Midwife) will work in Labor/Delivery and OB/GYN clinic. Work hours vary based upon department needs.
Management prefers ALSO (Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics) or ECO (Emergencies in Clinical Obstetrics) and AWOHNN Intermediate Fetal Heart Monitoring certification.
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
Open to the public.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.