YMCA of Greater Houston
Search Terms: Perry Group Exercise Instructor
Leads fitness and/or related wellness classes using proper exercise techniques and motivation.
- Promotes and incorporates the YMCA five core values of honesty, responsibility, respect, caring and faith in to all program activities.
- Plans and instructs fitness and/or related classes following YMCA standards and guidelines.
- Observes and discusses individual progress with participants. Develops rapport with members and responds to questions related to fitness.
- Offers alternatives during class to accommodate different fitness levels.
- Monitors participants to ensure safe workout; responds to and reports, accidents and incidents.
- Prepares room and equipment prior to class and properly secures room and equipment following the class; reports equipment and/or facility problems to supervisor promptly
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations, and procedures, including emergency procedures. Reports all incidents and complete accident reports as necessary.
- Responds to member questions and/or concerns.
- Reports suspicious and inappropriate behaviors and policy violations.
- Follows mandated abuse and incident reporting requirements.
- Meets timelines and deadlines related to supporting systems and employee compliance. Example includes but are not limited to Kronos Workforce Ready for review and approval of time sheets.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
YMCA Culture & Cause Expectations
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. As a cause driven leader you are expected to be:
Welcoming -Accept neighbors eagerly, warmly, hospitably, and as equal participants.
Nurturing -To care for, support, and help develop through encouragement.
Hopeful -Take an optimistic or positive view of future outcomes.
Determined -To devote full strength and concentrated attention to the cause.
Genuine –To be honest and open in relationships with others.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement : Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness : Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth : Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- At least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training upon hire. Previous related work experience preferred.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Required certifications: Primary Group Fitness Certifications (ACE, AFAA, NASM) and/or specialty certifications.
Ability to read, interpret, retain, and teach documents such as safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure/educational manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of children, parents, staff, members of the YMCA, and/or others, as well as in one-on-one situations.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense, understanding, and sound mature judgment to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form, including assisting with curriculum learning. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Ability to be sensitive and alert to the needs, feelings, and safety of others. Ability to ensure children’s safety and maintain YMCA and state standards and guidelines at all times.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, and/or feel objects, tools, and/or controls; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and taste and smell. The employee must frequently move and/or lift up to 50 pounds and move up to 100 pounds such as furniture, supplies, equipment, children, etc. Possess adequate vision and hearing to safely monitor environment and children.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. Nonsmoking and drug and alcohol free work environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, occasionally loud. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and airborne particles, toxic, or caustic chemicals, extreme heat, and/or blood. The employee regularly is exposed to bodily excretions of children, depending on developmental level of children in the employee’s care.
The YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Females/ Minorities/ Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.