YMCA of Metropolitan Washington DC
The YMCA of Metropolitan Washington is one of the largest charities in the DC area. The Y serves as an anchor in the community offering programs and services encompassing youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
Position: Group Exercise Instructor Salary Range: $18.46 – $23.79
Basic Function and Scope of Responsibility:
- Instructs all group exercise classes within the guidelines of the Association and maintains the quality of program
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates skills and explains them clearly to class members
- Works at learning level of particular class
- Responsible for the safety of all participants during class time
- Works with individual students within class structure to enable all to correct faults, improve self image and progress in their fitness program
- Reports to class on time, prepared with materials and equipment, and dressed in appropriate attire
- Knows emergency procedures and the location of emergency equipments
- Keeps class attendance and records
- Secures qualified substitutes well in advance and provides substitutes with rosters and lesson plans
- Attends pre-session instructor meetings, staff meetings, and instructor workshops as required
- Maintains all personal certifications; attends workshops and recertification training as needed or required
- Prepares teaching area with necessary equipments and returns it to storage at the end of class
- Participates in branch recruitment for class participants or in program promotion events
- Supports management in programming decisions
- Adheres to all YMCA Group Exercise policies and procedures
- Respects the misson of the YMCA and reflects it’s components while instructing the members
- Other duties as required
Customer Service Standards:
- Be in proper uniform with name tags to be easily identified
- Engage members with new workout tips and techniques that are appropriate for them
- I will be informed on programs and offerings from the other service areas.
- I will ensure that all equipment is clean and functional. Repairs will be made within 24 hours with related communication posted.
- I will recognize all members’ personal accomplishments in an appropriate fashion
- I will help members to stay engaged and follow-up with members that are at risk
Education, Certification, Skills, and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED
- Must be 18 years or older
- Able to conduct safe, effective and motivating Group exercise class.
- Must display an outgoing personality, enabling him/her to relate well to participants
- Demonstrated interest in working with individuals as well as groups of people
- Criminal Background Check
- Current CPR, AED
- Nationally recognized group exercise certification and/or other specialty certifications like Yoga Alliance, CrossFit, Zumba,Pilates/Pilates Reformer, Martial Arts,Spin/Indoor Cycle,Les Mills, Barre
YMCA Leadership Certification:
Position requires ongoing progress towards Leader Certification
- Able to teach at various times during the day
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, reach with hands or arms, lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About the YMCA of Metropolitan Washington
- Has serviced the DC area for over 164 years
- Is a $50M organization
- Employs approximately 1600 individuals
- Provides opportunities in healthy living, youth development, aquatics, youth sports, summer camp, child care, and more for over 250,000 people through our 17 branches and program centers annually
- Is part of one of the largest social service organizations in the country
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.