YMCA of the North
1. Job Summary:
The Group Fitness Instructor instructs quality group fitness classes, provides excellent customer service to members in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
2. Essential Functions:
- Lead quality group fitness classes, as directed by the Program Manager, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
- Conduct energizing, fun, safe, and educational classes.
- Maintain working knowledge of fitness industry and YMCA trends to provide effective information and training to members.
- Keep accurate class attendance records.
- Be able to respond and follow YMCA policies and procedures in emergency situations.
This position reports to the Program Manager who reports to the Director of Healthy Living. The incumbent works closely with the other PT instructors, supervisor, member services, and building/maintenance staff. The incumbent should address members by name and encourage participation in activities.
- Required Certifications: CPR, AED, National Certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise Certification
- Certification in areas of expertise (Cardio, Strength, Yoga, Cycle, Mat Pilates, Dance, ForeverWell, Silver Sneakers, etc.)
- Attend and successfully complete within 90 days of hire: YMCA Healthy Lifestyles
- Demonstrated customer service and communication skills
- 1 year of experience teaching group fitness classes
5 . Work Conditions:
- Ability to conduct classes and activities relating to fitness. Must be able to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50 lbs at a time.
- Exposure to music volume ranging from moderate to loud.
- Ability to recognize and react calmly and effectively in the event of an emergency.
6. Additional Notes:
Supervisory titles may change depending on branch.
This job description represents the major functions of the position, but it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The incumbent is also responsible for taking direction from branch representatives in completing projects or performing duties deemed necessary for the branch or Association’s success.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.