YMCA of the North
Home school Physical education Gym and Swim
- Thursdays: 12:15pm-2:45pm at Andover YMCA Community Center
- Fridays: 1:45pm-4:15pm at White Bear Lake YMCA
- TBD: (Will add one more day upon availability)
The Specialty Class Instructor is responsible for leading classes in a specialized program area which may include but is not limited to dance, yoga, martial arts, arts and humanities, safety and certification courses including lifeguard training. The incumbent will instruct quality classes and provide excellent customer service to members and program participants in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
2. Essential Functions:
- Plan and instruct progressive classes in a specialty area. Observe and discuss individual progress with participants.
- Motivate and guide class and program participation.
- Set up and take down class equipment and report equipment problems.
- Ensure safe and effective classes; responding to and reporting any accidents or incidents.
This position reports to the Program Manager/Program Director/Senior Program Coordinator who reports to Branch Management. The incumbent must learn and use participant names and encourage member interaction when possible. Work closely with other YMCA Team Members and program participants.
- Formal training in the specialty class being taught
- Certifications required within 30 days of hire: CPR, First Aid, and AED
- Prerequisite certifications when necessary
- Demonstrated customer service and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to individually lead a class and motivate participants
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations
- Ability to set up, move and store class equipment
- 1 year experience in specialty format being taught
5. Work Conditions:
- Ability to lead assigned classes and sessions, demonstrating exercise techniques and perform associated physical activities.
- Ability to stand on feet majority of work shift.
- Stretch, bend, and lift up to 50lbs and move heavy equipment on a daily basis.
- Ability to recognize and react calmly and effectively in the event of an emergency.
6. Additional Notes:
Supervisory titles may change depending on branch. This job description represents the major functions of the position, but it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The incumbent is also responsible for taking direction from branch representatives in completing projects or performing duties deemed necessary for the branch or Association’s success.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.