The Personal Trainer is expected to provide specialized, one-on-one training to meet the specific needs of the member. Develop and supervise a personal exercise program, which is based on the individual’s personal goals, exercise standards and guidelines, and their current level of fitness; provide resources of information regarding special concerns or areas of interest to the member; assist the member in exercise adherence and to provide emotional support towards exercise commitment. This is an hourly paid program position working with members that have pre-paid the YMCA for a particular number of personal training sessions.
- Cultivate and develop relationships with members and assist them in making healthy lifestyle choices, build self-esteem and build commitment to the YMCA.
- Implement a personalized fitness program and training techniques. Provide follow up and encouragement to motivate long term commitment.
- Supervise and instruct on exercise technique on a one-on-one basis. Creatively and enthusiastically motivate others to change their lifestyle. Provide member with motivation and positive feedback on performance.
- Respond to member concerns and problems in a timely basis. Maintain professional rapport with all members and staff and ensure member satisfaction.
- Keep all client files, records and handouts updated. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain knowledge of emergency and safety procedures and maintain records on any incidents
- Participate as a member of the staff team in providing excellent member service. Participate in staff meetings and trainings as required.
ROLE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Science or related field with a minimum of 3 years of experience in Be at least 20 years of age and pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in physiology or related field preferred.
- National Personal Training Certification (NSCA, ACSM, ACE, NEITA, AAAI).
- Excellent relationship building skills and the ability to engage members and build rapport. Excellent written communication skills.
- Maintain knowledge of trends in wellness, fitness and healthy lifestyles.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All Greater Philadelphia YMCA staff are responsible for the following:
COMMITMENT TO CHILD PROTECTION
Ensure that children in the care of the GPY and participating programming are kept safe from harm.
As a Mandated Reporter you are obligated to report ALL suspicions of abuse or neglect to the requisite state agency.
COMMITMENT TO SAFETY
Maintaining the safety of all members and staff by identifying and correcting risk situations, and ensuring incident-reporting procedures are followed.
Ensuring the overall cleanliness of the facility.
Maintaining a clean, well-groomed appearance and keeping in compliance with the Association and Department Dress Code Policy.
Exhibit strong leadership skills; possess a passion and commitment to member service and satisfaction, building and maintaining a culture of ensuring excellent Member Experience (MX).
A commitment to Diversity and Inclusion.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibility Addition for All Staff:
In order to ensure the health and wellness of the employees, members, and visitors of the GPY YMCA and all locations where GPY YMCA operates business, in addition to the essential duties and responsibilities listed on your current job description, the following are additional duties and responsibilities that may be assigned at any time where appropriate during the COVID-19 pandemic or any pandemic/communicable disease where the duties are appropriate. These additions are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned and required as needed:
- Enhanced cleaning in areas where the employee is not directly/normally assigned as well as normally assigned areas. All employees are expected to assist in and support the efforts of the GPY YMCA when it comes to health and wellness for the facility and other locations where the GPY YMCA conducts business. All employees are expected to wipe machines, screens, computers, or anything that is used after they use it, all employees are expected to wash their hands on a frequent basis (recommended every 30 minutes if possible), and use hand sanitizer when hand washing is not available.
- Temperature Taking/Wellness Questionnaire Taking Assignments
- Directing Members/Visitors in areas where the employee is both normally and not normally assigned
- The employee may be assigned to areas other than their normally assigned area as needed to meet organizational needs. Examples of this include, but are not limited to, being assigned areas to count people, help direct flow of traffic in an area, being assigned to a specific area to assist with doors, and any other duty as needed by the organization.
- All other duties as assigned as it relates to COVID-19 or other communicable disease and/or pandemic.
Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of spoken word to impart oral information and to convey detailed, spoken instructions to staff, members, children, and volunteers accurately, quickly, and loudly. Ability to perceive the nature of sounds by ear; ability to lift and carry 50-75 pounds; ability to maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling. Ability to move about on foot quickly; ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time. Ability to judge distances and spatial relationships so as to see objects where they actually are and clearly see at 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more.
Exposure to high levels of noise and various environmental conditions.
Acquire and maintain the following certifications:
- CPR/AED/O2/First Aid obtained through the American Red Cross (valid 2 years)
- Requisite OSHA online trainings (valid 1 year unless otherwise noted)
- Mandated Reporter Training (valid 5 years)
- Additional training and development specific to your role as reference in onboarding packet.
At the YMCA we value CARING, HONESTY, RESPECT, and RESPONSIBILITY in personal character and behavior and believe that they are essential to attaining our mission
CONNECTING PEOPLE TO HEALTHIER LIVES
The Greater Philadelphia YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. The Y considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran or other protected classification and in accordance with applicable laws.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.