Young Men's Christian Association and Woman's Comm
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Group Exercise Instructor at YMCA of the Greater Tri-Valley serves others by intentionally welcoming, connecting, and supporting them and inviting them to get involved and give back to the community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Creates a safe environment in which all individuals feel welcomed and respected; build relationships with and among members and program participants.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, that align with the healthy living program goals and objectives.
- Understands different health needs; observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
- Asks and answers questions and displays empathy in support of helping member and program participants build confidence to achieve their health and wellness goals.
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Is committed to maintaining a workplace free from all forms of harassment
- Adheres to policies related to boundaries with youth.
- Attends required abuse risk management training.
- Reports suspicious and inappropriate behaviors.
- Follows mandated abuse reporting requirements.
- Adheres to job specific abuse risk management responsibilities.
- Developing Self & Others
- Program/Project Management
- National certification in group fitness instruction (e.g., ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) or YMCA group exercise instructor certification required.
- Certification in area of expertise required.
- At least one year of experience teaching group exercise classes preferred.
- Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Commitment to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Must meet all Association-Wide training requirements in addition to those set forth by their Supervisor.
- Must be able to pass a Nationwide Criminal and Sex Offender Registry Background Screening.
- Must ensure that the physical and social environments for program delivery reflect the Y’s definition of character and values
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.